Friday, September 24, 2010

Dyeing....

Scraps and rags dyed with brown onion skins.  An old pair of jeans with such an enormous rip in the backside, they were irredeemable as clothing.  Some silk snippets...a beautiful cream piece with delicate embroidered bees, some recycled torn sari, and an old scarf that fell apart in the wash.  The things I might have once put in the bin, but am rethinking now, rediscovering their tattered beauty.  A piece of pale apricot silk...left over from my wedding dress...with a 'shibori' style experiment in resist stitching.  The poor onion skins had dyed everything else by this time, so the colour is quite delicate, but it worked well enough for me to see the potential.  I will be trying it again.

I had plans for these, but I think I've changed my mind.  I think I am going to just start, and see where it takes me, see what I end up with.  Something just for me.  I won't be selling this piece, it will be large I think, and take a long time.  Too much to put a price on, and it will spoil the pleasure of making it if I worry about that.  It might become a gift...but I think it might just stay with me.  There will be memories stitched into it.



A little stitched choker I made for a lunch with some old friends.

And I've added a Facebook widget in the right column...so you can 'like' me...if you like.  :)

12 comments:

Jasmine said...

A beautiful post, and so good to see your natural dyes. I know how you feel about parting with time intensive projects. I can give them as gifts but cannot part with them for a low price. Have a wonderful week end.

KeLLy aNN said...

One of my greatest desires is to have a dyer's garden. I'm working on it!
Your pieces are lovely!

mermaiden said...

i love the delicately disheveled look; that palette works perfectly.

Tammie Lee said...

so many gorgeous colors... I wonder what you will create with these...

WOL said...

So that's how you do that tye dye pattern! I'll be interested to see what you do with the bees. . .

Jacky said...

Beautiful, natural colours...I look forward to seeing your cloth progress and your thoughts as you stitch it.

Jacky xox

That 'bee' fabric is so beautiful and I love the old colour from the onion skins.

CathyH said...

Great colors and fabrics. Enjoyed this post! Growing lots of onions this year, red and yellow. Also lots of walnuts in my yard that stain. Inspiring post!

Valerianna said...

Looking forward to seeing what you make.... lovely textures and colors...

angela recada said...

Beautiful post and images! I love the magical spiral, too.
Best wishes from Wisconsin, USA

Debrina said...

OMG...the colours are beautiful! I love the evolution of photos from dyed fabric to working stitches and a finished piece. That choker is just gorgeous!! Lovely to catch up here...I know it's been a WHILE for me!!

Ruthie Redden said...

I am loving all these little pieces of treasures & cannot wait to see what you will lovingly craft them into. It is good once in a while to create something just for ourselves isn't it. I have realised reading your post that it is something i am long overdue, i shall have to remedy that asap. And here's to keeping a tight grip on that slender thread, sometimes it is such a struggle, mine keeps slipping lately. x ruthie x

Kay said...

I love that choker you made!!! You are very talented.

Related Posts with Thumbnails